Friday, August 26, 2011

Good Literature + Good Food + Great Marriage = Our Life




It is a happy state of existence to realize that your life is more ideal than you could have imagined. I used to dream of being an English professor and living alone, walking home on foggy evenings to a cappuccino and Oscar Wilde. A recent and glorious shot of reality made that idealistic fantasy look feeble. Whitney and I sat sipping tea and listening to a summer thunder-storm, it was so picturesque that I grabbed a volume of James Whitcomb Riley and proceeded to read poetry aloud as she knit. Life isn't about waiting for the next exciting event, it's about treasuring every moment in stride. So here follows some of the recent moments we've found wonderful.








Waiting at the mechanic holding hands and watching French cooking shows. Cooking dinner for my wife as she rocks in a comfy chair reading to me. Tucking ourselves into bed with steaming cups of peppermint cocoa and whip cream to be entertained by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Going for early morning walks at Dolese Park. Arriving home to the aroma of British cheese and onion bread. Watching the sun set over Lake Hefner. Pointing out and agreeing on care-a-bear and dragon shaped clouds. Sitting on a grassy hill next to old rail-road tracks eating Italian style pizza. Sketching at a locally roasted coffee shop downtown. Asking for one more kiss goodnight and really meaning one more kissing session. Reading 101 Dalmatians in a quiet public park until it was so dark that we had to squint to finish. Praying together over England, our bus route, and families. Pausing in the middle of a blog post to listen to La Vi En Rose with Whitney's head on my shoulder. Listening to the unabridged Jane Eyre and spazzing out over whether or not she will end up with Mr. Rochester. All of them beautiful memories, very few of them planned.


The Lord is good, much better than we deserve. To those of you married, enjoy it. To those of you single, enjoy it. To those of you we love, goodnight.


p.s. you might have realized that almost all of those ideal settings involve food and or reading, 155lb and holding.


p.p.s. the pic is the brilliant British bread, Whitney speaketh below in the wedge of potatoe recipe, heed her, for she cooketh well.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my that does sound wonderful! Sounds "better than a movie"(as Riley once told me the new years eve night he proposed to Whitney). I hope I marry a husband who likes to read (and have a good reading voice at that),take walks with me through parks, lay and look up at the stars, cook with me, and of course has big arms and a manly voice and by now you 2 are probably thinking how silly and ignorant I am just as you two once were when you imagined your futures. :) Goodnight and I love you both dearly! Can't wait to spend a week with you 2 in less than a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! What she said! :) Except instead of the arms and voice I would like a hard-working man who knows how to fix things! :) And I can't wait either! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm claiming the words Whitney once said: "Being married is very nice. I highly recommend it!" :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would recommend it to...Well.. In the future that is. :)

    ReplyDelete